How will you follow the Dons Next Season

Saturday, December 25, 2010

David Preece Question and Answers

MR: Having played in England and Denmark. Is Aberdeen still a team that foreign  players and players from England  find an attractive club  or is our location against us, especially with player who are married with families?

DP:   It's a sad fact of life that some are reluctant to move so North. The club has to try harder to sell itself to players.

MR: What do you miss most about playing for Aberdeen and living in the city?

DP Difficult one to pinpoint this. In 6 yrs I grew to love the club, fans and the city and always will. It became home.

MR: Did you feel any pressure following in the footsteps of keepers like Jim Leighton and Theo Snelders?


DP: At the time, no. I was naive enough to think I deserved to be in my position. Looking back, the move came a year or two too early.


MR: Apart from meeting me to present me with the half time draw cheque many years ago, what is your most memorable memory of your time with Aberdeen?


DP: I'd have to say the win at Celtic Park to end their 77 match unbeaten run. Being skipper that night made it special.

MR: Who was the best player you played with and against in your career?


DP: With: Tough one this. I'll go for Thomas Helveg Ultimate professional. Against: Zlatan Ibrahimavic


MR:Who is the best manager you played for?


DP: Peter Reid, Terry Butcher were great and David Hodgson has had a big influence on my career. Liked JC too.


MR: Who was your footballing Idol when growing up?


DP: Bruce Grobbelaar, Peter Shilton and Michel Platini. 1st 4 obvious reasons. Dad bought me a video of WC86 and I loved the FRC team.


MR: What are you plans after you retire?


DP:  Hopefully coaching/management. I'm also doing a degree in Sports writing and broadcasting through the PFA.


MR: What team did you support as a youngster?  


DP:  Sunderland, my home town team and where I began playing.


MR: What advise would you give a youngster trying to make a career in football? 


DP:There's nothing that good old fashioned hard work can't achieve. Talent is redundant without dedication.





I would like to thank David for agreeing to answer our questions.







Stand Free




2 comments:

  1. Yes good to read an ex Dons players view of things.
    Players with young families have to think of their family when considering moves. He may like it but the wife could have reservations about moving to a new location.
    I feel a new stadium and proper training facilities would help to attract players to Aberdeen.
    Stewart Milne I think sees that and if he is going to try and sell the club this will help find new owners better than the present Pittodrie Stadium.
    Thanks to David for his input into your blog.

    ReplyDelete